Thursday, January 5, 2012

Diet with a Gun to Your Head

EAT IT!!!  You eat it and you LIKE IT!!!!
Ok, that was a bit violent sounding so let me explain.  Recently my beloved hubby came very close to death.  This brush with mortality did not come in the form of a car wreck, fire fight, or any other type of epic Hollywood scenario.  No, it was diabetes that nearly took my darling from me.  We did not know he was diabetic; all we knew is that he wasn’t feeling well.  We took him into the emergency room thinking he probably had food poisoning.  The staff of St. Francis Medical Center quickly assessed him and started tests.  The tests came back with frightening news.  Blood sugar of 745, ketoacidosis, and pancreatitis, he was rushed up to ICU and we were in the hospital for six days.  When he was finally released to come home, he was sent with several prescriptions and a whole new outlook on life. 
So here we are.  Living on the diabetic diet isn’t so bad.  I am doing this with him to be supportive and well, let’s face it, I’m a fat girl and I can stand to drop some poundage.  The diabetic diet is actually pretty doable, watch our sugar intake, limit fatty foods, increase fiber and reduce carbs.  I know there is more to it but I am just working on the basics right now.  Next week we go to a class that will teach us more.  Giving up fast food was a struggle for the first few days but even that has gotten easier.  So here we go, new diet attempt.  I have high hopes this time.  I have lost five pounds so far, but seeing as I have ten more to lose to get back to where I was the last time I lost weight, I do not have that much to brag about.  
We have hit the point where it is life or death.  So it is up to us to choose, life with veggies or death with fries.  For now I am choosing life.  I hope I continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment